Are you looking to rent your apartment and you hesitate between rent empty and rent furnished? What are the main differences, at the administrative level, and what are the respective advantages of these solutions, both for a landlord and a tenant? We explain everything about furnished rental and empty rental in order to allow you to make the right choice for your real estate project.
- Types of rentals: furnished housing vs. empty housing
- Furnished rental: for whom?
- Differences between bare and furnished
- Rent of lease contracts: empty and furnished
- Indexing of rent
- Amount of the security deposit
- Term of the lease
- Termination by the lessor or by the tenant before maturity
- Taxation of the lease
Plan de l'article
Types of rental: furnished housing vs housing
empty We will review for you the main differences that exist between renting a furnished accommodation and the rental of an empty accommodation.
These two rental systems share many similarities. Indeed, the rental of furnished housing is now governed on many points in the same way as renting an empty accommodation. Both these types of rentals fall within the scope of the law of 6 July 1989 , which lays down the conditions for renting between owner and tenant.
Others readers like : Why make real estate videos ?
The major difference between empty rental (or bare rental) and furnished rental lies in the type of lease . Empty rental allows one type of lease, while the furnished rental allows three distinct types of leases, which will result from the tenant’s profile.
Furnished rental: for whom?
Furnished rental allows the types of leases following:
- furnished rental
- furnished rental for student
- lease mobility furnished rental
In these three cases, a mandatory list of furniture to be supplied must be provided. Standard lease models exist for each of the lease situations. The tenant’s profile will define the lease agreement to choose.
A simple furnished rental is for anyone. A furnished student rental is intended, as the name suggests, only for students.
In mobility lease , the contract is intended for persons in vocational training, higher education, apprenticeship contracts, internships, voluntary recruitment (civic service), vocational transfer or temporary assignment.
Differences between bare and furnished
Special clauses govern furnished rentals and renting empty or naked rental. These conditions will allow you to define the advantages and disadvantages of each type of rental, empty or furnished.
Rent of lease contracts: empty and furnished
Rents for furnished rental contracts are fixed, framed and capped at a reference rent plus in Paris since 1 July 2019, and in Lille since 1 March 2020. This strict framework also applies to naked rental or empty rental .
Indexing of rents
The annual indexation of rent, for a naked rental and for a furnished rental for any person, refers to the IRL. There is no rent indexation for students or mobility lease , since the lease agreement is less than one year.
In naked rental, the provision of charges is to be regulated once a year. For rent furnished, the same applies to the choice with a package of charges (same for the student lease). In mobility lease, the charge package is mandatory.
Security Deposit Amount
- Empty housing: 1 month rent excluding charges
- Single furnished accommodation: 2 months rent excluding charges
- Furnished student accommodation: 2 months rent excluding charges
- Housing lease mobility: prohibition of applying for a security deposit
Duration of the lease
- Empty housing: 3 years renewable
- Single furnished accommodation: 1 year renewable
- Student furnished accommodation: 9 months without renewal
- Housing lease mobility: from 1 to 10 months without renewal
Termination by lessor or tenant before expiry
- Empty apartment: landlord 6 months/tenant 3 months
- Simple furnished apartment: landlord 3 months/tenant 1 month
- Student furnished apartment: the lease terminates automatically after 9 months/tenant 1 month
- Apartment lease mobility: the lease automatically ends after 10 months/tenant 1 month
Taxation of rental
Finally, it is in the area of taxation and taxation that the differences will also be felt. An empty apartment rental constitutes land income, while a furnished apartment rental constitutes BICs, industrial and commercial profits .