Procedure for dismantling a door handle and drill a lock
Discover in this modus operandi the advice of our professional locksmith to disassemble a door handle without encountering any problems. You will also find useful tips for piercing a lock without damaging your door or the lock itself. You will see that it is not always useful to find a locksmithing craftsman to perform this work in the best conditions.
Others readers like : How to inflate a pool
Plan de l'article
- Disassemble a door handle: easy operation
- Identify the handle model to disassemble and to change
- How to disassemble a handle with locks
- How to disassemble a handle with lid or decorative rosette
- How to disassemble an old handle with pins?
- The material you must have in your possession to perform this work
- Trust a professional locksmith to do this job or have advice
- Practical Guide to Drilling a Lock Without Encountering Problems
- Understanding how a lock works for a job well done
- Place the different drill jigs
- Drill the various holes to ensure the location of the lock
- With what material perform drilling a lock efficiently?
Disassemble a door handle: easy operation
Sometimes it is necessary to disassemble a handle, for example to change a broken model or to change the aesthetics. Fortunately, there is nothing very complicated to disassemble a door handle because this operation is very simple to perform. You won’t need in-depth skills or real locksmith know-how to disassemble a handle. It is therefore not necessary to call a locksmithing betting 19 to perform this handle disassembly. So follow all the tips of this little handy guide to disassemble a door handle yourself in the best conditions and without any danger.
Identify the handle model to disassemble and to change
There is a wide selection of models of locking handles commercially and sometimes it is difficult to get there and make a choice. Here are the models we use and find most often on the market:
Read also : How to make a parting in a room?
- The decorative handle with plates that are fixed with screws on the door The
- Aesthetic handle that is sold with a lid or rosette in order to completely hide the screws The
- old handle connected to a square rod and that it is fixed with pins (minus and less used)
How to disassemble a handle with locks
Unscrew all visible screws located on either side of the door (ensure the correct hold of the handle and are all connected to each other)
With a screwdriver or an Allen wrench, unscrew the axis that is used to lock your handle on the square rod because without it you will have to force too much to remove the handle and possibly break it
Remove the handles and all decorative plates from the door
Handle with exposed screws are fully disassembled
How to disassemble a handle with lid or decorative rosette
Using a small flat screwdriver, make a lever to remove the lid your handle so as not to damage it
Remove the screws that hold it and are visible
Always start with the fixing screw (the one that passes through your door and connects the handles simultaneously. In a few cases, two screws the binders must be unscrewed) to facilitate the work
Unscrew the other screws to remove your handle
Remove different handles. If they resist, unscrew the axis keeps them to the square rod. It is not necessary to strain and do this operation smoothly. Otherwise, you risk heavily damaged your handle.
How to disassemble an old handle with pins?
In this case, are the simplest to perform because it will be enough for:
- Remove all pins with appropriate pliers
- Gently pull the handles on either side of your door to avoid damage
The material you must have in your possession to perform this work
You will need very little material to perform dismantling a handle (whatever model you want to change). You will just need to have your possession:
- One Allen Key
- A flat screwdriver
- One power socket clamp
- A Phillips screwdriver
Trust a professional locksmith to do this job or have advice
If despite this modus operandi you do not think that you are able to reach you dismantle your handle due to lack of skills, feel free to appeal to a reliable professional locksmith. This expert locksmith will always be present to answer all your questions and provide you with advice will always be convenient. It can even offer you models adapted to your needs if you want to change them in different aesthetic or safety reasons. Finally, it can also withstand this handle dismantling and perform in the shortest possible time deadlines to ensure your satisfaction thanks to always clean, meticulous and high quality So your door will be equipped with a decorative and quality.
Practical Guide to Drilling a Lock Without Encountering Problems
It can happen that the doors you find in the trade are marketed with holes already drilled to allow you to put a lock without encountering any worries. Now, in some cases, the holes are only and it will be up to you to do this if you want to equip your door with a new A2P certified and more robust lock. It is important to know that the drilling of a lock should be transported shrinkage in two operations:
By piercing the door platbands to prepare well for the passage of the sleeping bolt (it is the centerpiece that ensures the lock of a door) but also that of the conical bolt (which keeps your door closed without it being locked)
On both sides of the door in order to be able to fix the lock and all fillings that make up it and enjoy good support.
Understanding how a lock works for a job well done
In order to pierce your lock in the best conditions, it is important to know how it works and the words that define all the elements we find. So here’s what you need to know:
- Strike : Who is screwed into the so-called fixed pillar of the door, and where the locks are housed
- The lacquered lock: What maneuvers with an actuated lock
- Deadbolt: Which is a Rectangular piece remaining visible on the lock The
- Casing: Who: Who is the whole room in the door pillar The
- nut: Who is an important element of a lock
Place the different drill jigs
Very often, simple type locks that are found in the trade are equipped with paper models that allow you to easily make your tracing marks before drilling. You will need position where you want to drill the location of your lock:
- Place the drill template where you need to drill on your door by holding it with adhesive tape
- Arrange the paper template of the headrest on the door frame. This headrest serves as a cover that is screwed into the platform bar. Hold it also with a small piece of tape
- Place the piercing of your trigger also on the door frame while holding it with adhesive tape
Drill the various holes to ensure the location of the lock
The choice of Your drill bit will be decisive to get a good drilling always well done. Know that a wooden wick be the wisest choice for a wooden or PVC door:
- Insert the drill bit into the chuck with the right key
- Correctly check that there is no clearance between the chuck and the drill to prevent it from slipping
- Drill several holes underneath the other by carefully following the template of your template
- Equalize the opening with wood and a mallet so that the locking mechanism can fit perfectly
- With your mallet and wood scissors, dig a hole with a depth of at least 5 so that you can place the headrest directly into the door frame
- Change the drill bit and drill the hole in which the rod of your handle will be placed (drill well from side to side)
You can now drill the holes in your lock by following these steps:
- Use two drills and drill the holes on the location of the strike to place in place, as part of your door
- Drill these holes under each other so that the tapered bolt can fit without any problems (which is the metal part that serves as a seat for a door closing system) and the metal deadbolt (the other part) where the opening system is housed)
- Dig the different drilled parts with a depth of 1 cm, always using your wood scissors and mallet
- Using a soft brush, clean all dust so that you can place the lock
With what material perform drilling a lock efficiently?
In order to carrying out work that will be effective, it is important to own the proper equipment, as follows:
- A cordless drill (for easy folding)
- Several types of drill bits
- A Band One
- pair of wood scissors